"KITAKYUSHU" Japan Things to Do Tip by kiwigal_1

Japan Things to Do: 736 reviews and 1,308 photos

Iwaya Beach, Kitakyushu
by kiwigal_1

Kitakyushu is an industrial city known mainly for steel production. It was also my home for two years. It is a large sprawling city made up of the five former cities of Moji, Kokura, Yahata, Wakamatsu and Tobata.

The Lonely Planet Japan guide says that you should give Kitakyushu a miss. I agree in some respects as it hasn't got the beautiful temples of Kyoto or the large shopping opportunities offered by Tokyo, Osaka or even nearby Fukuoka . Nevertheless, this city still has a lot to see and do here and the beaches were better than many others I have seen in Japan.

This picture was taken at Iwaya Beach in Kitakyushu. The sunsets in Japan can be spectacular and I was very lucky to have my camera with me when I got this one!

There are ferry connections between Kitakyushu (at Shin-Moji Port) and Osaka and Kobe.

Take a look at my Kitakyushu page for more information!

Directions: Kitakyushu is reachable on the main Shinkansen line the runs from Tokyo to Hakata (Fukuoka). You can get off at Kokura Station.

• Updated Mar 31, 2004

kiwigal_1 Used To Live Here!

“If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you already have.”

Have you been to Japan?