" THAILAND (2nd trip - part one) " Asia Things to Do Tip by kiwigal_1

Asia Things to Do: 396 reviews and 650 photos

Sukhothai, Thailand
by kiwigal_1

My second trip to Thailand was a little better planned as I wanted to see far more of the country this time around. A different friend with me this time, we arrived in Bangkok and immediately hopped on a train north to Ayutthaya. We arrived quite late at night but we just walked around the town (Lonely Planet guide book in hand) until we came across a GuestHouse to rest for the night. The next day we had a fantastic breakfast and then set out to explore the ruins! We ended up staying 3 nights in Ayutthaya so that we could spend 2 full days around the city. We went on a boat ride around the river too which I recommend. The third day we hopped on a bus that went to Chiang Mai.
We arrived the next day I think in Chiang Mai and went to a cheap hotel that a tout at the bus station offered to take us. As I never pre-book accomodation I am quite happy to do this and haven`t felt ripped off yet. We stayed in Chiang Mai for a few nights. While in Chiang Mai we went on an Elephant Safari (I liked this one better than the Phuket one), shopping in the night markets, day trips all over the city to see different things. We decided not to go on a trek because my friend had a bite on her ankle (from the bus ride) that was looking worse and worse so we didn`t think she`d manage a hike.

• Updated Mar 30, 2004

“If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you already have.”

Have you been to Asia?