"A full time activity here will..." Alaska Things to Do Tip by worldtrekker

Alaska Things to Do: 496 reviews and 834 photos

A full time activity here will be protecting yourself from the hords of mosquitos! This pic (we're sitting down to dinner :-)) was taken in Glenallen, which I must say was the worst mosquito infested place I encountered in Alaska! It was a convenient stop between McCarthy and Fairbanks on my tours, so this is where we stayed. This place is so over-run that there will be at least 100 mosquitos waiting on your tent, and when you emerge, there will be a very noticeable cloud following you! I had a lot of fun at the campground here - watching others' first experiences with the buggers. Some ran around like loony's and others sealed themselves in their tents. :-))) I already knew what to expect and I drenched myself with deet. I know deet is unhealthy to put directly onto your skin, and some people have been known to have severe reactions to it, but I applied it liberally! I rarely had a bite, but the mosquitos still hover all around you. It seems they will find any smidge of skin that you haven't protected. The best thing would be to buy yourself one of those head nets (I've seen them sold with a cap ensemble). A cap is good because otherwise the net will be hanging in your face. Long sleeved shirt and long pants will save you from the chemicals as well.
There are so many mosquitos in some part of Alaska that cariboo try to evade them by going onto snowfields. It's possible for a caribou to lose 4 liters of blood a day from these pests. That's how many there are! The mosquitos serve a useful purpose though; lots of birds nest in Alaska in the summer and these insects are a food source. Early summer is the worst for mozzies and they slowly decrease in numbers as the summer wears on. The mosquito is also known as the State Bird!

• Updated Aug 12, 2004

“Take only pictures, leave only footprints.”

Have you been to Alaska?