"" Australia Favorite Tip by Jo_katz

Australia General: 527 reviews and 649 photos

Fondest memory: Having arrived in Cairns I was desperate to get away! Well there's nothing much to Cairns itself but the rainforrest areas around are something special. I spent 3 days exploring the areas inland from Cairns, a totally unplanned yet thoroughly enjoyable side trip. My trip took me into the rainforest to the Cathedral Figtree, Curtain Figtree, and Lake Tinaroo. On the first night we stayed at 'On The Wallaby Lodge' in the heart of Yunaburra Village. We went canoeing on Lake Eacham and were lucky enough to spot a tree Kageroo and her baby (apparently a very rare sight). On the second day, we headed to Millaa Millaa Falls, then onto the great diving range to the drier Silver Valley. We took four hour walk, exploring Aboriginal shelters and discovering their artwork. This was a brilliant experience taking me to some unspoilt areas totally undiscover by other tourists. We stopped to pick up some vital supplies in Irvinebank (i.e. BEER!) This was an interesting experinece as upon entering the one and only pub all eyes turned towards us. I don't think Irvinebank is used to tourists. Upon explaining to the landlord that no i didn't want to become his wife i just wanted some alcohol for that evening we were on our way. That night we camped out under the stars in swags and ate traditional food cooked over a fire. Snakes were the least of our worries when i nearly started a bush fire trying to burn my toilet paper! Sitting around the camp fire playing didgerdoos gave me a real sense of what real Australia was. The next day was spent at an aboriginal settlement where i thrilled to purchase an orthentic didgerdoo all of my own!

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Australia?