"On the first day when we..." Bolzano Off The Beaten Path Tip by worldtrekker

Bolzano Off The Beaten Path: 27 reviews and 31 photos

On the first day when we arrived in Bolzano we didn't have the rental car yet, so we decided to take the gondola up into the mountains above town. We did some hiking up there and visited the mountain village, S. Genesio/Jenesien. There was a small local train running up there which took us to that interesting little village but it was drizzly so I don't have any pics from that excursion. I do remember eating lunch there outside under one of those table umbrellas. The weather didn't get worse than a sprinkle, so we decided to hike back instead of taking the train. When we got back to where the gondola would take us back down, we found out we'd have to wait an hour or so. We spent that time at a nearby cafe. It was nice. The weather had improved a lot by the time we arrived back in Bolzano, so I decided to hike back up the way we had come down. I only hiked up a little bit (steep) to get a closer look at the vineyards and better views of the valley. I'm not sure what the building is in the pic, but there are vineyards all around it.

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“Take only pictures, leave only footprints.”

Have you been to Bolzano?