"There is so much to do in..." Canals & Houseboats Tip by GerryM

Canals & Houseboats, Amsterdam: 70 reviews and 93 photos

Favorite thing: There is so much to do in Amsterdam it is difficult to pick on any one thing. For those of you have already been here you will know that it pretty much offers something to everyone. If you have not yet been here and are planning to come, please feel free to get in touch. I have already helped a great many travellers with local information and enjoy being a tourguide to my recently adopted city. Helping others find what they are interested in, often helps me to find out new and interesting things.

Fondest memory: Again there are so many. I love to wander through the canal area of the city and absorb the architecture and romanticism of it all. I am also blessed to live in this area, so I get a lot of opportunity. If you haven't tried Queen's Day (the Queen's official birthday), that can be great fun. It is a National holiday, and in Amsterdam all the trams normally running through the city, do not, as there are so many people, it would be impossible. You do need to like crowds, as the whole city is one big crowd on that day. It probably helps to know someone who can guide you around, otherwise manoevering your way through some of the crowds can be a bit tedious. Everyone ends up completely 'out of their heads' on some enhancer, mostly alcohol, but there are other unusually legal substances available here.
There are a great many good restaurants, most of which are not in parts of town where most tourists tend to look. Let me know if I can advise you.

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“Travel, good food, good friends, what more do you need?”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Amsterdam?