"Mei you!" Top 5 Page for this destination China Local Custom Tip by nepalgoods

China Local Customs: 241 reviews and 248 photos

Fulu Pharmacy
by nepalgoods

You don't hear the famous words 'mei you' in China as often as some years before. 'Mei you' means 'We don't have'. But it often means much more, like 'I don't understand you', 'I am sorry, but I cannot help you'. Many travellers get angry, when they hear a 'mei you', but Chinese people often don't know, what to say else, as they are quite aware, that the foreigners don't understand them. So, don't get angry, just ask the next person the same question again, until you find somebody who can help you. Or try to ask the same question in a different way.
I once had this experience at Beijing Airport 1988: There was Bank of China on the Arrival Area, but it was closed. I asked the Information-Desk nearby: "When does the bank open?" They answered:" In 3 hours!" I was completely disappointed, but then I remembered, that I was in China. I asked the girl of the information-desk now: "Is there a bank at the airport, which is open now?" With a big smile she answered "yes, that way...!" We were both happy. So, don't be angry at people, just ask the right question!

• Updated Jul 22, 2003

nepalgoods Used To Live Here!

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Have you been to China?