"Guided Pub Walk" City Centre - Downtown Tip by hayward68

City Centre - Downtown, Manchester: 21 reviews and 28 photos

I can't recommend this enough, it was a fascinating walk with a very entertaining guide. The guide was full of interesting information about each pub and the history of the area and various characters associated with each pub. We were supposed to do 4 pubs but only made it to 3 before time ran out. The guide, Jonathon Schofield, then gave us a quiz about all the info he'd been telling us for the past two hours. Our group of 3 only got one wrong! See, we didn't just drink the whole time, we actually listened, lol! We then all ended up at the pub which was supposed to be the 4th one of the night. The walk is done by Blue Badge Guides and starts at the Town Hall. The cost was 4. And yes you do drink up at the pubs, at your expense however.
The pub shown is Sir Ralph Abercromby Inn, the 2nd pub on the tour.
My drinking cohorts of the night, Dave and Gareth, highly recommend this tour as well ;-)
I see from my pamphlet that the Pub Tour is only about once a month. But hey, Schofield was quoted in National Geographic Traveler, obviously he's the man for the job!

Address: Manchester
Directions: Meeting point is Town Hall and then walk to various pubs.
othercontact: www.cix.co.uk/~tourguide/man/man
Website: http://www.visitmanchester.com

• Updated Sep 16, 2002

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Manchester?