"Houses of Parliament" Houses of Parliament - Palace of Westminster Tip by hayward68

  Houses of Parliament
by hayward68

A popular stop for tourists wanting to see the tower where Big Ben is housed. The bell is what's named Big Ben, but most tourists just refer to the tower as Big Ben.
Also known as the Palace of Westminster, the Houses of Parliment are built on the site of the palace of Edward the Confessor which was built in the 11th century. When the royals moved to a new location at Whitehall Palace the House of Lords stayed at Westminster. A fire in 1834 destroyed much of the original building although the Jewel Tower, the crypt and Westminster Hall survived. The main building that is now standing was constructed between 1840 and 1888.
In 1941 a bomb destroyed the House of Commons and was rebuilt in 1950 according to the original design for the House.
You can visit the Houses of Parliament but the rules are varied so I'd suggest reading the official website to see what rules pertain to you.

Address: By Westminster Bridge and tube stop.
Directions: Westminster tube
Phone: +44 20 7219 3000
Website: http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hcio/tours.cfm

Review Helpfulness: 1.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 27, 2004
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse


hayward68 Visits Here Frequently!


“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Online Now


Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 1 0 0 0

Have you been to London?

  Share Your Travels