"St. Paul's Cathedral" St. Paul's Cathedral Tip by hayward68

St. Paul's Cathedral, London: 289 reviews and 570 photos

View from St Paul's Cathedral
by hayward68

For some people this cathedral is a symbol of London, it towers over the skyline and was an inspiration during WWII as it stood amidst the burning city around it.
There have been many incarnations on this site but the one you see before you today is by Christopher Wren after the Great Fire. His third plan for the building was approved in 1675, two previous plans being rejected, and the cathedral was finished 35 years later.
Inside the dome of the cathedral is the Whispering Gallery and it's named this as, supposedly, if you whisper towards the wall you should be able to hear the whisper on the other side of the dome. Don't stop here though, keep going up, go right to the top of St. Paul's for a spectacular view of the city. I've been up it twice as I love the view. And in this pic I can see where my cousin works, the tall dark building across the river just to left of the middle of the pic.

The cathedral is home to the tombs of some notable British residents, be sure to check out the crypt in the basement where you can find the casket of the Duke of Wellington.

There is one painting hanging in St Paul's which I had no idea was there until I found it while walking around the cathedral. There is a print of Holman Hunt's painting The Light of the World in one of my childhood bibles and I was quite overwhelmed to come across a large version at St Pauls, you have to go to Oxford to see the original, but this was good enough for me.

Address: St Pauls Churchyard, EC4
Directions: St Pauls tube
Phone: 0 20 7236 4128
Website: http://www.stpauls.co.uk

• Updated Apr 26, 2006

Comments

hayward68 Visits Here Frequently!

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to London?