"Find a mummy!I can't tell you..." Egypt Off The Beaten Path Tip by hayward68

Egypt Off The Beaten Path: 250 reviews and 315 photos

Find a mummy!
I can't tell you which tomb this is because I don't know. We were off-roading with our bikes trying to find a shortcut to Hatshepsut's Temple when a man waved us down. We thought we were going to get in trouble for being somewhere we shouldn't be but he was offering to show us a tomb with a mummy in it. Not really believing him we followed him anyway. When he made us hide our bikes we realized he wasn't supposed to be giving this tour. We went into this tomb where our guide unlocked the gates and then went into great detail about practically every carving on the wall, asking us to feel how well it was carved and see how well things were done. I was trying to keep my distance as our guide had quite a pungent body odour :( We didn't think we'd see a mummy until he grabbed a light and then, lo and behold, there it was just lying there in a small room. We were able to get right up close to it. Our guide was quite happy to point out the evidence that this was in fact a male mummy, lol! After the tour we were then told not to tell anyone about it! Oops!

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Have you been to Egypt?