"There are no direct flights to..." Malta Transportation Tip by chrissyalex

Malta Transportation: 225 reviews and 230 photos

There are no direct flights to Malta from the United States. I flew to London via Virgin Atlantic, and then to Malta via AirMalta. I highly recommend to look for a hotel/air package. The price of the package will be much less than the price of just the airfare alone.
The famous Maltese buses!Even though they are ancient,they have character,are really quite good ,are easy to use,go to most places on the island and are extremely cheap.Maps are avaliable with routes and their frequencies at the bus station and in some bookstores and tourist type stores. A ticket is only 15 cents Maltese. There are also 1,3, and 7 day passes avaliable. I usually bought the day pass for 1.50 Lm It really was worth it to me ,because then I didn't have to go digging for change all the time. Almost all the routes will go through Valletta( where the bus station is) Although there are direct routes from a couple of cities( including Sliema,where I stayed) that avoid Valletta. Many of these direct buses are good for when visiting the beaches.The direct bus tickets are more expensive (40 cents Maltese),but if you get the day pass,then it won't cost you anymore because you can use the day pass for these direct routes also.
Hold on to your ticket because every once in a awhile a guy will hop on the bus and check tickets. I saw this happen twice and then he writes something down in a little book.
If you want to visit a place that is a little more remote and where the buses run much less frequently( such as the Blue Grotto), you may want to sign up for a tour.These tours are very cheap and take you directly there from your hotel,drop you off ,give you some time there and take you back. This will save on time wating for the buses.
I seriously thought about car rental ,but decided against it for a few reasons.The major being that Americans need an international driver's license(which I do not have)The other reasons were that the driving is on the left like in England, many cars are standard shift( which I don't know how to drive), some of the driving is really crazy from what I had seen, and I really hate to drive anyway! LOL

Mode: TO,AROUND