"" Buenos Aires Restaurant Tip by travelmad478

Buenos Aires Restaurants: 737 reviews and 763 photos

Favorite Dish: It's been several years since I was in Argentina, but three food groups still stand out in my mind: the empanada, Argentine beef, and the flat sandwich. Empanadas, the perfect food to eat while walking around the city, consist of pastry wrapped around some kind of stuffing (which can include meat, vegetables, cheese, or whatever the cook has on hand). I had some fantastic samples of these while exploring the city. Argentine beef needs no description or advertising: it's the best beef I've ever tasted anywhere. Finally, the flat sandwich (which I've recently learned is called a 'sandwich de miga') is far from haute cuisine--it's basically a white-bread sandwich, crusts removed, and pressed to the thickness of a handkerchief. For some reason, these sandwiches seemed to be the staple food at all receptions, gatherings, and parties we went to in Buenos Aires. I doubt that anyone in Argentina would nominate the flat sandwich as the country's national dish, but it sure seemed like it to us.

Rating: 0
Theme: Other

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“You live once!”

Have you been to Buenos Aires?