VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"I had a good time walking..." Streets of Cario - Walking- Views Tip by travelmad478

I had a good time walking around Islamic Cairo. I got out there pretty early on a Friday morning (the beginning of the weekend in Egypt) so the streets were much quieter than they would be on any other day. I started at Al-Azhar Mosque, walked up Sharia Al-Muizz to the Al-Hakim Mosque, turned back to come down Sharia Bab Al-Nasr, wound my way through the Ghuriya, and kept going downhill all the way to the Sultan Hassan Mosque complex. Then I walked to the Citadel. This was a lot of walking (about 5 hours altogether) but really fascinating and fun. I highly recommend doing it on a Friday and in the morning when it's not so hot.
This section of Cairo is packed full of buildings that were put up over many centuries. You can do a lot of poking around inside them. Informational markers are few and far between--take a good guidebook to tell you what you're looking at and give you some historical background.

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Comments

travelmad478

“You live once!”