"While I lived in Kazakhstan I..." Kazakhstan Off The Beaten Path Tip by travelmad478

Kazakhstan Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 27 photos

While I lived in Kazakhstan I took two day trips through the nearby mountains in aging Aeroflot helicopters. At the time, a five-hour trip (including lunch!) cost an incredibly cheap US$75. The rides were amazing--the helicopters, which seated about 15 people plus the two-man crew, had portholes that you could open and stick your head out. We flew over immense, spiky mountains covered with glaciers, and then over huge expanses of dry, open land that seemed totally uninhabited until you suddenly spotted a lone yurt (felt tent) and a couple of sheep tied out in the middle of nowhere. One the first trip, we landed for lunch next to a glacier-fed river, then flew on to look at a big canyon. The second trip was to Lake Issyk-Kul in Kyrgyzstan (see my Kyrgystan page). After I moved away from Kazakhstan, I heard that one of those same helicopter trips had crashed in a sudden fog. Yikes. Well, as my motto says, you live once--might as well make the most of it!

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Comments

travelmad478

“You live once!”

Have you been to Kazakhstan?