"Rattlesnakes, scorpions and..." Monument Valley State Park Warnings Or Dangers Tip by sim1

Monument Valley
by sim1

There is lots to see besides dust and rocks in a desert. You only have to look a bit closer at things. There are a lot of lizards in the dessert, but they are more scared from you, that the other way round. When you are quiet and look carefully you will spot them. But do leave them in peace, and just enjoy looking at them.

I don't know for sure but I think this is a Collared lizard. One of my travelbooks explained to me that : 'The collard lizard can be shades of yellow, green or brown and is often found sunning itself on a rock'. Lizards are carnivores. You can spot them on top of a rock, basking in the sun, warming up enough to go out hunting. From these exposed locations, they claim their territory, attract mates, and search for food.

Please correct me if it's not the collared lizard. I am always curious to know a bit more about the animals I spot

Beware : don't reach blindly under bushes, rocks or into holes. Rattlesnakes, scorpions and spiders do occur within the park.

• Updated Feb 25, 2005

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Monument Valley State Park?