"And off I go...." Fort William Favorite Tip by sim1

Fort William General: 53 reviews and 51 photos

snow snow and more snow
by sim1

Favorite thing:

23rd December 1995, there I go! Everyone got the days off from work and my friend Louise booked a little cottage in Glencoe. They left a day before me, which means that I will have a lovely and warm cottage waiting for me, fresh coffee when I arrive and a cheerful welcome :-)

I leave very early in the morning and take the ferry from "Hoek van Holland" to "Harwich". But from Harwich, which is in the south of England, it is still a very long drive to Scotland. But that is no problem, because I am used to driving a lot of kilometers and I enjoy seeing the different landscapes passing by.

The driving seems to go without problems, I am ahead of schedule. And when I arrive in the northern part of England I see the first snow..... oooh, it looks so beautiful! I really would love to go visit this area as well.... and I did, a few years later. But that will be another story, but also a great vacation!

I listen to the news and get worried... snow, snow and more SNOW, the weather forcast predicts a lot of snow for the rest of the day. Problems on the roads... warnings.... oops, that doesn't sound very good! So I decide to hurry up, the sooner we get to Glencoe, the better.
I did get snow... and I got it bad!!! It was like a blizzard, I could hardly see anything anymore. The roads are slippery and full of snow. I have to drive so slowly... I get to Glasgow... even more snow.... will I ever make it to Glencoe?

• Updated Feb 23, 2005

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Fort William?