"The bell tower" Nördlingen Warnings Or Dangers Tip by sim1

Nördlingen Warnings and Dangers: 1 reviews and 1 photos

The romantic and historical Old Town is dominated by its landmark, 'Daniel', the 90 m high bell tower of the late Gothic Hall Church of St. George. The church itself is one of the finest of its kind in South Germany. I will show you some pictures of the interior under the 'cultural tips'. The construction of the tower began in 1454 and was completed in 1639. It's name is derived from a passage in the book of Daniel.

A tower watchman - who is certainly the last member of this ancient profession - is still on duty around the clock at the top of the 'Daniel' tower, which can be climbed 365 days a year. The entrance fee is 1,50 euro or 2 euro, I don't remember exactly.

Phew, but I have to warn you though!!!! There is a lot of steps before you are at the top!... 350 to be exactly!!! And to encourage you, they have posted signs on the way up.... Arggghhh, I was so tired already, and hoped I was nearly there... and there was this sign ' Congratulations! You have climbed one third already' Nooooooo! This means I have to do two thirds more :-(((

But I made it :-)) Hahaha, totally exhausted though, but happy to be at the top.

The view is gorgeous from here, you can see for miles! If there isn't a snowstorm coming your way :-(( Aiks, I only had a few minutes to click some photo's and enjoy the view, and after that it started snowing. Hmmm, not the best weather to be on a tower. So... down I went again! But as you can see on some of the pics on this page, you really have a lovely view over Nördlingen. So take your camera, find some energy, and start climbing those stairs!!!

• Updated Sep 3, 2002

Comments

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Nördlingen?