"Holidays & celebrations" Top 5 Page for this destination Netherlands Local Custom Tip by sim1

Netherlands Local Customs: 288 reviews and 290 photos

New Year waffles
by sim1

In these local custom tips I want to tell you a bit more about our national holidays. Questions like : When are these national holidays? And what do we do on these days like that? Those are the questions I want to try to answer for you. Besides the national holidays I have also added a few other yearly celebrations.

New Years Day

What a start of the year! You should think the first day of the year should be a good start, but it never is! After the heavy party of New Years Eve I always feel terrible!

So what do we on New Years Day? We eat 'nieuwjaars rolletjes'! (New Year waffles). These 'nieuwjaars rolletjes' are thin round waffles which we fill with whipped cream. They are nice but very sweet, not the best choice of food when you have a hangover. LOL. But it is tradition, so I always eat lots of them! :-)

Almost everything is closed on New Years Day. But that doesn't matter on this day. What are you going to do on a day like this anyway. My tip is to just have a long sleep in the morning, relax, get over your hangover and wish everyone you meet a happy new year.

• Updated Jan 25, 2005

sim1 Used To Live Here!

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Netherlands?