"Leaving Isreal proved to be an..." Israel Favorite Tip by lois_lane

Israel General: 271 reviews and 259 photos

Favorite thing: Leaving Isreal proved to be an experience. First of all we got kidnapped my our taxi driver who suddenly increased the charge. We took a taxi from Akko to Haifa, had agreed on a price, then the driver demanded more, and would not stop at red lights so that we were trapped in the vehicle. Finally after much screaming and swearing, he threatened to take us to the police, we agreed whole heartedly, he stopped by traffic police men who looked at us in an amused fashion while we spoke very rapidly about this (very bad man) that the taxi driver was. Then we took our bags and strode off. The taxi driver followed us around town for a while before leaving. Interesting experience. We also found that the ferry to Athens was booked so we would have to spend the night in Haifa. All hotels were beyond our budget, so we ended up camping out in a construction sight near the beach. When leaving the next day, we had to go through some pretty rigourous questioning by customs officials when leaving, I think that we were interviewed for almost 40 minutes. Then we had to board the boat at noon, even though the boat didn't leave until evening. The large tour groups only had to board the ferry 2 hours before departure. Oh well, at least I had time to plan the Europe part of my trip.

• Written Aug 25, 2002

“a whole bunch of little things adds up to heavy.”

Have you been to Israel?