"I was lucky when traveling..." Europe Local Custom Tip by lois_lane

Europe Local Customs: 188 reviews and 202 photos

I was lucky when traveling through Europe as I speak both English and French fluently, and can get by with Spanish. Also, I am a Canadian which prevents a lot of instant assumptions that my Southerly neighbours seem to unfortunately be stuck with.

I found some shockingly rude behaviour from tourists, all tourists.

When asking someone for help, at least TRY it in their local language first,(usually simple translations are in the back of your guide book) if you can't manage that, ask them if they speak English..in their language, not in English. Think about it, if you do not speak Japanese, what good is someone speaking slowly and loudly in japanese to you? If you encounter someone who does not seem to understand you, do not repeat your question more slowly and more loudly in english again, this is the most rude behaviour. If someone does not speak your language, shouting it slowly at them will not suddenly give them the power to speak in tongues and understand you.
I try not to compare everything to my home country. I appreciate where I am at the moment, the differences included, that's the point of travel..right? Everyone in the world believes that their home country is the best country in the world. While I'm traveling, I try to forget about my home and just enjoy someone else's for a change. To them it is the best country in the world. And if you let yourself really get into a place, you may see it that way too.

• Written Aug 25, 2002

Comments

lois_lane

“a whole bunch of little things adds up to heavy.”

Have you been to Europe?