VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"I have no idea. I had one..." Night Out in Roppongi Tip by KilgoreTrout

Night Out in Roppongi, Tokyo: 46 reviews and 47 photos

I have no idea. I had one night in Tokyo when I didn't have anything planned or already arranged, and I was determined to use this to sample the notorious night life of Roppongi for myself! I was newly single, and had a head full of images of cute Japanese girls just DYING to meet a blond, blue-eyed gaijin. But, I hadn't done my homework. I thought I could just zip over on the subway, jump out the exit and stroll to the nearest bar/club. I was wrong. What actually happend was I jumped out of the exit into an enormaous crowd of people in a massive interesction of pedestrian walkways, gleaming shopping malls and multi-lane expressways. This was NOT like the well-known bar areas of Soho in London (or, for that matter, Sukhumvit in Bangkok).

I staggered in a disorientated fashion from intersection to intersection, trying to utilise my (dubious) radar for a good bar...nothing. Just plain office blocks and roads. Oh, and lots of touts for bars. Now, I never usually trust a tout, but after about 1 hour of aimless wandering I decided I was going to have to swallow my pride and go along with one of these guys. I picked one at random and he spieled the spiel...'Oh yes, nice club....cheap dring....lots of girl look for nice gaijin..' Well, I was led into one of the office-block type places, up a few flights of stairs and into the 'club'. I was the only patron. No, really...at 10.00pm or whatever I was the only person in the whole place. I had already paid for a ticket which entitled me to some free dinks...I sat, drank the drinks and listened to the (not bad) music. During that time, a small group of Japanese guys came in. I tried to engage them in conversation (given that it was just me and them in the whole place). They looked away nervously, but responded when the cross-cultural fave of footabll was mentioned. Then they left. I left soon after.....................................Next time I visit Tokyo (if I am still single, of course!), I will do my research or hook up with a like-minded buddy!

Address: Minato-ku