VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

The Sou'Wester Restaurant and Gift Shop: "Sou'Wester Restaurant Still Wildly Popular" The Sou'Wester Restaurant and Gift Shop Tip by starship

by starship

Notice channel buoy
    by starship

The Sou'Wester Restaurant and Gift Shop" commands a major presence in Peggy's Cove. Located at the farthest end of Peggy's Point Road just across from Peggy's Point Lighthouse. The present owner acquired the property which was the former Lighthouse View Tea Room and went on to expand and enhance it in the 50 years since then. My photos do not really show how large the Sou'Wester Restaurant really is --- it now seats 180 people; however, as large as the restaurant is, the attached 2-story gift shop is probably twice as big and just as busy --- so busy you could barely walk through it. I did manage to buy a fridge magnet for my collection and a few postcards after quite a wait. BUT!! Visiting the gift shop did have a redeeming factor! Upstairs at one cashier's counter you could obtain a Peggy's Cove passport stamp! While not a genuine immigration passport stamp one would get coming into a country, the stamp is a great addition for anyone who prizes passport stamps as much as I do. (I know I was thrilled to get a similar passport stamp while visiting Machu Picchu, Peru!) In any case I was certainly glad I had my passport with me!

We had built up some appetite after scampering over the rocks near the lighthouse. Hoping to get a seat in the restaurant and try some delicious seafood for lunch was our long-planned intention but the wait was long and with up to 6 or 7 tours buses in the parking lot we could tell it seemed quite hopeless. And, although there was additional counter which sold coffee, cold drinks, we were more hungry than thirsty.

As you might imagine, the Sou'Wester's menu features some type of seafood from appetizers to entrees. While you can certainly order a salad for an appetizer, I would not miss the chance to order a seafood chowder (Sm. $9.99 / Lg. $11.99) but my husband might go for the Nova Scotia steamed mussels in garlic butter ($10.99). For entrees, my choice have been the Baked Seafood Platter - fresh Nova Scotia haddock, mussels, shrimp, and Digby scallops drizzled with clarified butter at $29.99 (all prices Canadian dollars). The mussels would have gone to my husband. Pricey of course, but seafood seems to be pricey no matter where you are.

Still constructing

Address: 178 Peggy's Point Road, Peggy's Cove, B3Z 3S2
Phone: 902.823.2561
Rating: 0
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.peggys-cove.com/

• Updated Jan 6, 2017

Comments

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Peggy's Cove?