"The proper way to greet a kangaroo" Australia Local Custom Tip by AKtravelers
Australia Local Customs: 222 reviews and 279 photos
Because they are aware of Western customs, as a result of being barraged with Western TV and films, kangaroos will understand if you want to shake hands. But, when meeting new people, they really prefer to high five!
We were really lucky -- the female pictured here also let us put a hand in her pouch.
As for civilized Australia, the only culture shock we experienced had to do withy store hours -- most shops close by 5:30 at night and don't open on Sunday. Also, spaghetti on toast was a standard item on beakfast menus. Apparently, people actually eat it, too, though we never witnessed that.
More Reviews (25)
- See All Take the old Glenelg-Adelaide Train
- See All Visit Seal Bay on Kangaroo Island
- See All The Oldest Hotel in Narandarra
- See All Visit the Wind-Sculpted Rocks on...
- Buy Opals in Adelaide
- See All Canberra - a functional (not tourist)...
- Australian Rules Football
- See All Stay Awake on Long Drives
- Pack for cool wind and strong sun
- Shiraz Goes Best with Kangaroo
- Watch the Penguins Parade on Kangaroo...
- Skip the Cities; See the Wild Side!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels