"Fishing in The Royal Military Canal" Top 5 Page for this destination Hythe Things to Do Tip by Galaxy31

Hythe Things to Do: 57 reviews and 194 photos

While I'm was on my early walk around the canal on my last visit there I have noticed that there were a lot of anglers at the bank of the canal. All were prepared with a lot of bait, nets, different fishing rods, packed lunches and flasks filled with their favourite hot beverages.
I did ask and it was a competition going on for the biggest catch of the day. I'm was there only for ten to fifteen minutes before I headed off to have breakfast at the hotel.
The Canal is described as a good area for course fishing, as the canal is stocked with carp, pike, perch, bream, rudd, eels and other freshwater fish. As it was first stock with fish back in 1806 Field officers and some country gentlemen were given permits in the summer to fish from the tow-path side only.

To fish in the canal you need a licence which you can obtain from the Cinque Ports Angling Society, who are holding the fishing rights since 1920 for eleven miles of the Royal Military Canal. Anglers that are not members of the society can obtain a day ticket.

Prices are 5.00 senior, concessionary and juniors is 2.50 which I think is a very good price considering you can catch some very big fish n its waters. Recently a 23lb pike was caught in the canal.

Address: Hythe
Directions: 8 Blenhiem Drive, Hawkinge Nr Folkestone, Kent, CT18 7FA
Phone: 01303 891450
Website: http://http:www.cinqueportsanglingsociety.org

• Updated Dec 6, 2015

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2015 at 3:07 PM

23 lbs ll feed a few people but I think the only fish that I have when from the ones you mention is bream.

Galaxy31

“Never too late to travel”

Have you been to Hythe?