"My main reason for going to..." Mayan sites Tip by dantes2

Mayan sites, Belize: 5 reviews and 7 photos

Favorite thing: My main reason for going to Belize was to visit certain Mayan archeological sites. Mayan archeology is a main interest of mine- so besides Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras- Belize is the place to go. I will admit I was somewhat unprepared for what I found in Belize. It is the smallest country imaginable, most of it jungle, and has - at the time I was there- 2 1/2 paved main roads. When I looked in the Yellow Pages, by chance I happened to notice that there is only 1 (one) registered psychiatrist in the whole country. You figure it out- peaceful, tranquil, beautiful, unmolested, unthreatened Belize.

Belize has an interesting population- it is technically an English speaking country (given it's history) but contains a large indigenous Mayan population, immigrant Guatemalans, Indians and Chinese,(also surprisingly a large Amish/Mennonite community-well, maybe, not so surprisingly-you know, Heaven on Earth.). The Spanish (non-Mayan) population are called Ladinos. English and Spanish seem to be equally accepted in the land.

The smallest Capital City in the WORLD is probably Belmopan in Belize. The Capital was moved in land from Belize City some years ago due to the past damage inflicted by hurricanes. So, on a spur off the Western Road going toward San Ignacio you find Belmopan (smaller than your neighborhood I bet). If you go there stay at the Bull Frog Inn.It has a nice little dining room which is really a covered patio. I found the people there to be very nice and welcoming.

BTW- No one seems to know the origin of the name 'Belize.' Some maintain it is from the name of an infamous pirate named 'Wallace.' That's either a 'stretch' or quite a speech defect.

Fondest memory: Visiting Caracol deep in the Chiquibul Forrest. I had rented a 4-wheel (very expensive) Subaru Samarai and was driving the 3 1/2 hours to Caracol. I hit a pot hole in the rutted dirt road and found myself all of a sudden sitting in the passenger seat of the car. For a minute I was wondering 'Well, who's driving the car?' Hmm I thought I was.

• Updated May 27, 2004

More General in Belize (1)

“Be daring, you`ll be thankful later.....”

Have you been to Belize?