"La Madeleine" La Madeleine Tip by Maryimelda

La Madeleine, Paris: 57 reviews and 140 photos

La Madeleine is a Catholic church dedicated to Mary Magdalene and can be found right near the Place de la Concorde on the Rue Royale. It has a long history dating back well over two hundred years and after many a change to the original plans, it was commissioned by Napoleon to be built in a style reminiscent of the Maison Carree in Nimes. It is easily recognized by its dozens of stone pillars which surround its perimeters both inside and out.

I believe that Frederic Chopin's funeral service was held here. He was later interred in Pere Lachaise Cemetery. Chopin holds a very dear place in my heart and since I did in fact visit his grave the day before my visit to La Madeleine, it was lovely to have the chance to also be in the place of his funeral service.

At the time of my visit (October 2013) La Madeleine was undergoing refurbishment and seemed to me to be in a sad and sorry state. Hopefully when the work is done it will be back to its former glory. To me the most outstanding feature of the church is the High Altar which is crowned by a wonderful sculpture of the Angels escorting Mary Magdalene to Heaven.

When I first arrived at the church, I thought I would not be able to go in as there were many stairs to climb and no sign of a bannister which is very necessary for me with my wonky knees. However, not to worry, I saw a little sign pointing to a disabled entry which I followed and lo and behold there was a lift.

Address: Place de la Madeleine and Rue Royale
Directions: Metro #12 stop Madeleine.

• Updated Oct 30, 2013

Maryimelda

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Have you been to Paris?