"Spotlight Views" Glacier Point Tip by Africancrab

Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park: 46 reviews and 89 photos

by Africancrab

• Spotlight Views - Yosemite National Park
      With my husband and son on my back
    by Africancrab
  • Spotlight Views - Yosemite National Park

Nothing prepares you for what you see when you get to Glacier Point in Yosemite. It is a high point way above the valley floor. From the gate, it is about a 25-30 minute drive. There is parking and one view point prior to getting to the actually Glacier view point. My family and I spent 3 nights in the park, during which we toured and hiked the main highlights of the park.

There is a very exciting, challenging and adventurous hike to the valley floor which we attempted, but only did a mile and a half each way as we had my 15 month old with us. It is a tough hike, I shall not lie. The down hike is the easy part, getting back up literally requires rails or a chain for one to pull him/herself up with.

The views from glacier point are nothing short of breath-taking. Since we went in may, it was supposed to be cooler, but unfortunate for us, the heat picked up a day before and we literally got in at 90 degrees plus in temps. At such a high altitude though, it was cooler and the giant pine trees gave much needed shade.

The half dome and three different waterfalls are vivid from this point.

Address: Yosemite National Park
Website: http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

• Written May 15, 2013

Comments

Africancrab

“Don't leave for tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Yosemite National Park?