"Flatts Village ~ Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Flatts Village Tip by starship

Flatts Village, Bermuda: 4 reviews and 15 photos

Friendly Golden Lion Tamarin Monkey

Friendly Golden Lion Tamarin Monkey
      Entrance - Aquarium & Zoo across from Flatts Inlet
      Largest of the aquariums
      Black-tipped shark????
      Scarlet Ibis
    by starship

On the first day in Bermuda on our most recent visit in April, 2013, I convinced my husband to take the bus from Hamilton to Flatts Village to visit the Bermuda Aquarium & Zoo; this jaunt took the better part of a 1/2 hour.

At the entrance you walk immediately into the aquarium section which is quite nice as it features local fish and underwater life, such as the "sea puddings," many of which we saw during our glass bottom boat excursion. I was able to get one nice photo of a small shark. Other inside exhibits which showed native birds and animals in their local habitat were interesting and one excellent feature made them all even better --- when near any particular "teaching" exhibit, you usually came to stand under a clear, plexi-glass dome and this motion triggered recorded sounds made by those particular animals or birds plus environmental sounds such as the sea waves, wind blowing, sea grass rustling, etc.

I was a little disappointed in the number of furry zoo inhabitants we were seeing until one thing happened .... the pictured little Golden Lion Tamarin monkey ran up to us!!! He lived in the one or two sections which had aviary-type enclosures keeping animals in but giving them natural habitats --- natural light, vegetation, fresh air and trees for climbing and sleeping in. You can't imagine how badly I wished I had a piece of fruit to feed him/her even though signs everywhere veritably screamed, "Don't feed the animals!" He climbed on top of the sign and waited patiently until he realized no food would be forthcoming and subsequently went off to hunt for his meal on the shaded ground. Another little Golden Lion Tamarin was sleeping in the trees just beyond. This was nearly worth the trip alone. But as we were visiting just around noon, we found a lot of the animals were sleeping or had been removed from their exhibit ... too bad for us.

We went on to see an enormous crocodile, scarlet ibis, huge tortoises, a few seals, but not too much more. What really "vexed" me were the children who were allowed to run loose who screamed at and taunted the animals!! I'd had enough!! Still the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo which was founded in 1926 is worthwhile and its mission of inspiring appreciation and care of island environments is a worthy one. I didn't mind spending the money to visit which helps to keep an institution like this one running.

2013 Admission prices: $10 for adults; $5 for senior (65+) & children 5-15 yrs. old
Children under 5 - FREE.

The Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo is open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. except Christmas Day. Last admission is 4 p.m.

There is a nice gift shop and small cafe.

Address: 40 North Shore Road, Flatts Village
Directions: North Shore & Middle Road, across from Flatts Inlet.
Phone: 441-293-2727
Website: http://bamz.org

• Updated Aug 4, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

What a lovely experience! I bet it made you day, it would mine!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Aug 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It surely did and it was so unexpected too! It was great to see the Tamerins have a degree of freedom that some zoos don't give animals.

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

nice article

• starship's Profile Photo
      Aug 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Thanks very much for visiting my Bermuda page -- it's a beautiful little country!

starship

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Bermuda?