"Les Bouquinistes" Top 5 Page for this destination Les bouquinistes Tip by Nemorino

Les bouquinistes, Paris: 11 reviews and 24 photos

• - Paris
      Book I bought from a bouquiniste
      Book stalls on Quai Voltaire with Vélib 7006
    by Nemorino
      Book stalls when they are closed and locked
    by Nemorino

The French word bouquin is an informal word for a book. The more common and more serious word is livre. So if you are reading a livre it sounds important and edifying, whereas reading a bouquin is just a way to pass the time or satisfy some strange obsession or obscure interest.

All along the banks of the Seine, on the upper walls, there are dark green boxes which look rather uninteresting when they are closed (fourth photo), but when they are open they turn out to be book stalls where you can buy used books, mainly in French, of the sort that would easily qualify as bouquins. Most of them are very obscure paperback books from bygone decades, and they are often wrapped in cellophane to keep them from getting dusty.

The person who sells bouquins at one of these stands is called a bouquiniste. I don’t know if they can make a living doing this (perhaps it’s just a hobby?), but most of them also sell guide books, post cards, posters and trashy souvenirs to bring in some extra money.

I have been browsing these book stalls off and on for fifty years now, and have occasionally bought a bouquin so I would have something to read on the train, but I have rarely found one that I really wanted – until now, that is. On a recent morning before leaving my hotel I noted down the titles and authors of two books that I really wanted to find, thinking they would both be difficult to obtain.

On the Quai de Montebello, across from Notre Dame, I started browsing, and in the second bookstall I actually found one of the two books I was looking for. It was an old paperback edition of the novel L’Hôtel du Nord by Eugène Dabit (1898-1936), and the bouquiniste sold it to me for all of two Euros. (After reading this novel I wrote a few things about it in my tips Hôtel du Nord: the place, the book and the film and Hôpital Saint-Louis.)

I kept on browsing up and down the Seine, but of course didn’t find the second book I was looking for – that would have been too much luck for one day. (But I did find it the next day at the big fnac store at Les Halles.)

Next review from June 2012: Hotel Abricotel

Theme: Books

• Updated Feb 19, 2013

Nemorino Used To Live Here!

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Paris?