"By train" Milan Transportation Tip by yumyum

Milan Transportation: 280 reviews and 309 photos

We arrived in Milano Centrale by train from Zurich (Switzerland). After I had left home I realised that I had forgotten to bring my hairbrush and my comb. So we arrived just around 10 pm on a Saturday evening and someone in our train compartment told me the Italian words for comb (petine) and brush (spazzola).

There was still a kind of souvenir etc. shop open and I went to the counter and asked for a petine and sure enough they helpful people opened a drawer and asked whether I needed a petine or a spazzola and even gave me the choice for 2 brushes at around Euro 3.50 a piece. The essence of the story don't give up and just ask! I would never have guessed that this type of shop would carry such items.

Travelling back home 2 weeks later, I arrived in Milano Centrale again and had to buy a ticket to Switzerland. Basically you can do this at the ticket machines but since I have a half-fare card for Siwtzerland I needed the ticket office.

If you intend to use the ticket office, be prepared to line up for half an hour or thereabouts! This is after you searched for it for 10 minutes or so! Well you will find it downstairs hidden away.

Same goes for the toilets. There are signs that send you all over the place and when you finally find the well hidden toilets you need to have the right coins to pass the turnstile. It costs Euro 1.00, so don't bring anything bigger than a 1 Euro coin. Good luck!

Another thing that sent me into despair was the sandwich/drink shop. You cannot just point to want you want and pay for it. They will send you to the cashier to the other end first. Pressed for time and not having an idea of the name of the thing I wanted, I gave up.

If you need a bus to the airport, then leave the station to your left. There is a bus to Malpensa for Euro 10.00 and other buses.

So have fun in the Milano Centrale station :-)

Mode: TO
Type: Train
Website: http://www.trenitalia.it

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Written Jun 11, 2012

Comments

yumyum

“Just go and enjoy, you never know what's around the next corner”

Have you been to Milan?