"Eating Deep Fried Insects, Anyone?" Chatuchak Weekend Market Tip by Rinjani

Deep fried insect

Deep fried insect
      Only 20THB, anyone?
    by Rinjani

On our walk from Chattucak market to the nearest BTS, we passed by the street vendor selling funny looking foods. Looking closer, there are different kind of insects; worms, larvas, crickets (or grasshoppers) and pretty big insect looks like cockroaches.

These insects are deep fried to brown. This unique stall attracts tourists to snap pictures and the seller seems not so happy about it. The seller can’t speak English, so we could not inquire him farther about those insects.

We braved ourselves to buy deep fried brown cockroaches for 20 THB each. The seller put pepper and oil into it and handed over to us. A tiny bite of its crispy wing tastes like chip, a bite of its skull, it tastes spicy and dash of bitter.

• Written Jun 10, 2012

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I came across these markets in Asia but I would never dare taste one. We all know that cockroaches come out of drain pipes...yiak!! I can stay days without anything but not these!!!

• Rinjani's Profile Photo
      Dec 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Indeed :) It took a lot of courage. I only managed to taste its leg, crispy :)

• puma_2002's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I love the death stare by the cop behind

• Rinjani's Profile Photo
      Nov 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Oh my Gosh.....I didn't see him before :). too focus on the fried insects

Rinjani

“Learning is understanding something you've understood all your life, but in a new way-Doris Lessing”

Have you been to Bangkok?