"Hidden Gems: Celle, Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Off The Beaten Path Tip by Maryimelda
Europe Off The Beaten Path: 344 reviews and 679 photos
Celle, like so many other German towns and cities has had a colourful history dating back many many centuries. I was not prepared for the size of the town which I was soon to find out, has a population of 71,000 people.
In the town centre alone, there are upwards of about 450 half timbered houses, all of which are protected and hence are extremely well kept. Some date back as far as the 16th century and most were spared during the allied bombing in April 1945, because the town surrendered quietly to the Allies and very little bombing took place.
More Off The Beaten Path in Europe (12)
More Reviews (124)
- See All Best way to see the Rhine
- See All Be proud to be a tourist in Europe
- See All All the above - Le Mont St Michel
- See All Renowned Shopping Streets: Ruedesheim
- See All These take the cake.
- See All Not everything in Europe is BIG
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Have you been to Europe?Share Your Travels