The Windsor Hotel: "- magnificent HIGH TEA" Melbourne Restaurant Tip by sirgaw

Melbourne Restaurants: 513 reviews and 485 photos

One of the truly great Melbourne traditions since 1883 is High Tea at The Windsor Hotel. Although expensive it really is an afternoon of total indulgence.

The hotel seems to have gone out of the way and hired the most attentive waiting staff judging from my afternoon and paid for by Cooks’ Cottage where I am a once a week volunteer site guide. All up, a great thank you gift.

We arrived and were shown to our well-appointed table in a beautiful room and sat down to the set ready for high tea round table. A glass of Moscato was poured and we were offered tea or coffee. A glass of chilled water was already in place to quench the thirst.

Soon after arriving we were presented with a triple tier of tasty goodies to eat. Top layer plate contained 3 different fillings of delicious hot savories, bottom layer ribbon sandwiches and that was 5 different fillings. Sandwiched between (pun intended) was the plate that the girls all went wild about – 5 different bite sized cakes (OK I lied – ladies would never wolf down those dainty little cakes). From a large basket waiters presented each diner with 2 freshly baked scones to be eaten with double cream and a choice of 2 different jams (jellies if you are from North America).

Throughout the afternoon our tea or coffee cups were re-filled as necessary. There is an extensive selection of different teas – one of our party over-indulged in “Glorious Blooming Teas.” (See photo of glass tea pot)

My suggestion is to go to the high tea hungry and forget all about calories and watching the weight. There should be an official weight watchers warning issued for The Windsor High Tea.

Pre-bookings essential for weekends and a little warning for the gentlemen – the ‘men’s’ is quite a long walk from the restaurant – strongly suggest that you ‘go before you really need to go’ (yes I know that we should not discuss such mundane and ‘common’ things while talking about THE high tea)..

See web site for pricing and booking details

Address: 111 Spring Street, Melbourne
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: Opposite Parliament House and on the City Circle free tram route
othercontact: Fax +61 3 9633-6001
Phone: +61 3 9633-6000
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.thehotelwindsor.com.au/afternoon-tea-,diningandbar_viewItem_7-en.html

• Written May 11, 2012

Comments

sirgaw Lives Here!

sirgaw

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Have you been to Melbourne?