"The Jewel in the Colonial Crown." Top 5 Page for this destination Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong Tip by swissfondue

Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong, Hong Kong: 303 reviews and 7 photos

Festive Peninsula Hotel
by swissfondue

The luxurious Peninsula Hotel at the harbour end of Tsim Sha Tsui is Hong Kong's oldest hotel and a tourist attraction in its own right. Each time I walk past on my way to the Star Ferry Terminal I stop, admire the facade and sigh.

I havent personally stayed at the Peninsula as I prefer the bustling area of Mongkok. I have however had afternoon tea in the Lobby along with many other people. Overall a pleasant experience, though if you were staying at the hotel I think you would become frustrated by the noise, activity and sheer volume of people congregating in the Lobby all afternoon.The architecture of the Lobby is quite stunning with neo-classical columns and lots of gold influences. You do have plenty of time to admire this as high tea reservations are not taken and the waiting time (only 20 minutes on the day I was there) can be up to 2 hours.

I enjoyed my finger sandwiches, sweet french pastries and scones while listening to a string quartet. Everything was nicely presented and the service was what you expect from such an iconic establishment. I must say that although it was as busy, it was not quite as blatantly touristy as a similar high tea experience at London's Ritz hotel.

Hong Kong is a "money" city and this is abundantly evident at the Peninsula Hotel. In an ever evolving cosmopolitan city, the Peninsula is one of the few places that tries to uphold the traditions of Hong Kong's colonial past. High tea is served daily in the Lobby between 2pm and 6pm. Cost is approx HK$400 per couple. As mentioned queueing is inevitable so be prepared for this.

Unique Qualities: The Peninsula has an uber posh bar called Felix. If you would like to rub shoulders with the rich and even more rich, call in for a drink, some serious people watching and absolutely fabulous views over Victoria Harbour.

Address: Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui - Kowloon.
Phone: (852) 2920 2888
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.peninsula.com/Hong_Kong/en/default.aspx

• Updated Sep 22, 2013

Comments

swissfondue Visits Here Frequently!

swissfondue

“Climb every mountain... or just walk up one little hill. With every step you take you are seeing the world around you!”

Have you been to Hong Kong?