HÔTEL LE GALION: "NOT SAFE OR CLEAN" Lome Hotel Tip by DAO

HÔTEL LE GALION

HÔTEL LE GALION
      STAINED SHEETS, BAD BED, LOUD A/C
    by DAO
      THE ANNEX- COME ON IN !!!!
      IT WAS A BATH ONCE !
      MY DOOR BAR ! YES I BROUGHT IT WITH ME
    by DAO

I found this place to be a bit concerning. When you first find the place you realise it is in a good area of Cotonou. Entering the courtyard you see a lot of French guys whacking away on their laptops making the most of the free wi-fi. Nice enough bar inside and a reasonable restaurant according to reviews. I was shown my room in the adjacent courtyard and entrance. That’s when I started to realise things were not quite right. The room was well worn, sheets stained, bed not so great and the air-conditioning had a nasty high-pitched amazingly loud whine. The bathroom had a boarded up bath, bizarre shower in terms of spurts of hot water) and a toilet. Not much else. I quickly realised that ANYONE could look over the main courtyard and see displays of wealth – expensive laptops. So anyone walking by can see 1-6 months wages on every table and they can spy on the main courtyard without being seen. They could then walk into my area of the hotel, shut the high gate behind them and not be able to be seen or heard by staff should they wish to break into your room. Of course there is no safe in your room. Yes, it’s cheap by European standards – but about average here.

Supposedly it’s Swiss owned. You would think they would have SOME security arrangements. I had to put a security door bar underneath the door (pictured). When I cam back to the room the live band was playing next door. Someone could have kicked the door down in my annex and no one would have heard a thing.

I have rarely been concerned about security in an African hotel. I have had 2-4 people watching my room, guards with guns and even CCTV in cheap hotels. I have even had a guard who slept behind the one entrance door. Intruders would have had to walk on him after battering a steel door to get in. And that was a $6 a night hotel (in Ethiopia)! I have stayed in some ‘interesting’ and even dangerous places in the world – even in the USA. This was just a stupid arrangement and poor quality accommodation.

No, anyone could walk in of the street and lock the high gate behind them here.

Stupid!

So, bad room, bed, air-conditioning and security. Pay an extra 4500 CFA (6€, $8) and you could stay at the fantastically better L'Hôtel Equateur! click here for review

Unique Qualities:
* Anyone can walk into the hotel from the street. Anyone.
* Dirty

Address: Rue des Chamomiles (Kodjoviakopé)
Comparison: about average
othercontact: Email form on their website
Phone: +228 22 22 00 30
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hotel-galion.com/

• Updated Jun 26, 2012

Comments

DAO

“NEXT STOP - THE SILK ROAD”

Have you been to Lome?