"Paria Canyon - a great adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Page Sports & Outdoors Tip by blueskyjohn

Page Sports & Outdoors: 8 reviews and 15 photos

The Paria is about 45 minutes outside of Page. There are two ways that are popular to backpack the Paria. If you enter from the Rangers station, the total hike is 37 miles one way. I have always done the Paria from Buckskin Gulch which cuts out about 7 miles of the Paria, but adds 12 miles of Buckskin Gulch. I moved too fast when doing this. It only took two and 1/2 days for my friend and I to go the 42 miles. If I do it again I will go for a more enjoyable 5 days.

Once in Paria Canyon, it is not very technical. Alot of walking in water surrounded by beautiful red sandstone walls.

Highly recommend

Equipment: No ropes required. I suggest wearing heavy hiking boots as opposed to sandals. The offer more support. Toward the end, maybe last 8 miles, you are out of the water more than in it and you will appreciate the boots.

Permits are required!

PLEASE follow "Leave No Trace" ethics guidelines for backcountry travel. You have to pack out EVERYTHING! Yes, even that, lol.

Directions: About 45 minutes west of Page. Enter at the Rangers station and drive to the end of the dirt road.
Theme: Other

• Written Apr 11, 2012

blueskyjohn

“the journey IS the destination.”

Have you been to Page?