"Bad luck at Le Louvre!" Top 5 Page for this destination Louvre Tip by breughel

Louvre, Paris: 789 reviews and 1,566 photos

Line at the Pyramid and below the strikers.
by breughel

Line at the Pyramid and below the strikers.
    by breughel
      Porte des Lions exceptionally closed on Thursday.
    by breughel

If you ever read my page on Paris you will know that I'm a fan of Le Louvre and also that I propose since 2008 the entrance of the Porte des Lions as the one without lines.

On Thursday 29/03/2012 I wanted to visit again Le Louvre and went to the Porte des Lions to find it closed with a notice: "Exceptionnellement fermé ce jeudi 29/03"! I swore "Verdomme" in Flemish so that no Frenchman would understand and went to queue at the Pyramid entrance as I had not pre-booked a ticket.
Fortunately as it was still early (09.30 h) the queue was small. Inside I avoided the ticket corners with lines and went to a ticket machine. At the first machine the software didn't like me and blocked although I used the French instructions. I tried a second machine in English and that worked (the advantages of the Lingua Franca).

After that I entered wing Richelieu and found a hidden elevator that took me to my believed Flemish and Dutch painters on the second floor.
The Flemish Primitives Jan Van Eyck "La Vierge du Chevalier Rolin" (1434), Rogier van der Weyden "L'Annonciation" (1435), the six paintings from Hans Memling, the famous painting "Prêteur et sa femme" (1514) from Quentin Metsys were still hanging on the walls of their usual rooms but I couldn't find the two Vermeer's "La Dentellière" and "l' Astronome"!
I asked a museum attendant who told me that the rooms with the Vermeer's are closed on Thursday! I swore a silent "Verdomme" and said "Merci … je n'ai pas de chance!"

It was time to eat something and I went down to the floor -1 Entresol where there are some cafeterias. But the Entresol was occupied by striking personnel from the cleaning teams; members of the left-left syndicate CGT were making a hell of a noise with whistles and trumpets with compressed air as used at football matches (see my video).
Impossible to stay in that hall and to sit there to eat. For the third time I swore "verdomme" and took again the elevator to find a hidden corner (visitors are not allowed to eat or drink in the museum rooms) to eat the survival waffle (from Brussels' of course) I have always with me.

With some distance I think that things could have been worse. Actually I was very lucky that the museum was not closed, that there was no strike on the Metro or RER, no strike on the French Rail and Thalys and not even a strike or incident on the Belgian Rail (what is frequent).

Directions: Métro: Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre

• Updated Aug 17, 2012

Comments

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Paris?