Caldo Pizza.: "A very pleasant surprise." Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Restaurant Tip by planxty

Dumaguete City Restaurants: 51 reviews and 113 photos

by planxty

I have to say that VT is very much to blame, or more correctly take the credit for, this tip. At tme of writing, I have been staying n Dumaguete for quite a while and whilst I have several favourite restaurants, I do tend to try new places, in the main just to provide me with more VT tips. Sad I know, but there you are.

I had seen this place a few times, hidden away at the back of a filling (gas) station and though it might be worth a try although really wasn't expecting a whole lot from it. This gives the clue to the title of this tip. OK, it is not the most illustrious surroundings I have ever eaten in, situated in a small row of fast food outlets, but I sat down and was attended to promptly by a friendly young man who spoke decent English and presented me with a menu in the same language. I opted for a regular sized Filipiniana at 190 pesos which, the menu assured me, featured Cebu chorizo amongst other things. I am a fan of chorizo here and it looked an ideal choice.

So what to drink then. Normally San Miguel Light is my beer of choice but, as the image shows if you know about such things, the only beer available was San Miguel. I have dealt with this in other tips but essentially San Mig is a 6.9 abv beer that Philippinos drink to get drunk quickly and cheaply and it is pretty lethal but it was the only option. OK, a few sips and wait for the pizza to arrive which took a few minutes but at least it shows it was fresshly made.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't expecting much. My previous experience of pizza in the Philippines in nearby Valencia at Dexter's had been a singularly uninspiring event but what a difference here. Piping hot with a beautifully crispy crust (just as I lke it), plenty of very tasty toppings, it was really delightful.

The quite loud rock accompaniment from the next door franchise, Red Hot Chilli Peppers as I recall, was a pleasant soundtrack to what was a very good pizza.

Update 5th April 2012.

Another visit last night and the Succulenta pizza (pictured) featuring black olive, anchovy, mushroom, roast garlic, which was not at all overpowering made for an excellent pizza at 200 pesos. I also saw served a party sized pizza which is undoubtedly the largest pizza I have ever seen, it must have been three feet across and looked like a car wheel. I am sure it would have fed 20 people easily whch looked to be about the size of the party ordering it.

Still highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The Filipiniana as described.

Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Head towards Sibulan on Hibbard Avenue past Silliman University and look for the filling (gas) station on the left two blocks along. Go to the back of the station and it is on the left.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Pizza
Website: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calda-Pizza-Philippines/292890971700

• Updated Apr 4, 2012

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Have you been to Dumaguete City?