La Ciotola Ristorante Pizzeria: "Popular with solo business travellers" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Restaurant Tip by suvanki

Bergamo Restaurants: 197 reviews and 485 photos

My main course

My main course
      My appetiser

CITTA BASSA

Our last evening in Bergamo, with a fairly early start to the airport, so we wanted to eat near to our accommodation - also needed somewhere that opened early. La Ciotola opened at 19.00, so we chose to eat here, noting the 'Ristorante dei Mille Sapori' sticker on the door - Quality Assurance of local produce etc.

Well we were amongst the first arrivals, but the restaurant soon started to fill up - we noted that many of the customers were dining solo - presumably as it is located between the Mercure and Best Western Hotels, it is popular with hungry business travellers. At other tables suited business men appeared to be conducting business over their meals.

Well the service was good, but not exceptionally friendly - although there was an impression that this was a family run business with 'Nonna' eating in the restaurant. (I've since found out that the patron has been in business since 1954) - it is slightly off the beaten track - ie down a passageway off of Via Papa Giovanni,next to the Mercure Hotel, so might not be your first choice for dining.

Framed autographed newspaper articles and concert/Festival programmes decorate the wall. I think that 'Nonna' was in one of the presentation photos.

Since visiting, I've read 'glowing reports' from diners - perhaps I was a bit tired, or had eaten at so many different restaurants over the past few days, many of which I'd really enjoyed, and I was expecting a bit more! Perhaps it was because we were surrounded by diners trying to avoid eye contact with each other, and I was picking up on their 'discomfort'

Open 12.00 - 14.30 and 19.00 - 23.30 Daily Thursday to Tuesday.

Favorite Dish: I quite enjoyed my starter of pear with gorganzola cream and walnuts 7 Euros

For my main course I had the mixed grilled fish - prawns, sword fish, sea bream on a (large)bed of rocket - 18 Euros. Enjoyable enough, but not too outstanding.

Gilly chose the Fishermans soup 16 Euros - full of clams, mussels and calamari - think I should have gone with that!!

Washed down with a bottle of Valcolepio - 16 Euro
Coperti/cover charge 2 Euros each

Address: Viale Papa Giovanni XX111, 86
Comparison: about average
Directions: CITTA BASSA
Near to Mercure Hotel, down an internal passageway between shops.

Phone: 035 238334 Fax 035 4229567
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Written Mar 29, 2012

Comments

suvanki Visits Here Frequently!

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Bergamo?