El Jolgorio Cibeles: "Fun International Flavours" Mexico City Restaurant Tip by Jetgirly

Mexico City Restaurants: 251 reviews and 212 photos

Vegetarian Sandwich and Salad at El Jolgorio

Vegetarian Sandwich and Salad at El Jolgorio
      Wine Cocktail at El Jolgorio Cibeles
    by Jetgirly

One day I was walking around the Roma and Condesa neighbourhoods, and I realized it was lunch time. I approached La Glorieta Cibeles, a roundabout with restaurants skirting the edges, and started checking out menus. A few different places looked interesting, but when I saw that El Jolgorio had a number of different vegetarian items on the menu, all inspired by different ethnic cuisines, I knew I'd found lunch.

I chose to sit outside on the patio, as it had a nice view of the sidewalk and the nearby Turibus stop. People-watching galore. I was immediately greeted by a friendly server and given a menu. I opted to have a red wine cocktail and the vegetarian sandwich, both of which are shown in my photos. The cocktail was great and I've tried to re-create it unsuccessfully at home a number of times. The sandwich was also good. The bread was hearty and full of seeds, it was absolutely stuffed with sauteed mushrooms, spinach and fontina cheese, and it was refreshing to see a different kind of side salad (grated carrots and beets topped with seeds, served with a homemade creamy herb dressing).

El Jolgorio's location is great for anyone visiting the neighbourhoods of Condesa or Roma, or for people taking in the city on the great Turibus. It is located right at the “Fuente de Cibeles” (Plaza Madrid) Turibus stop, which is also the transfer point to the south Turibus route. The menu has a number of vegetarian dishes, but also lots of meat dishes, and flavours range from local Mexican tastes to Indian curries and Italian favorites. There is something for everyone on the menu, making it a good stop for families and groups.

Address: Plaza Villa Madrid 9
Comparison: about average
Directions: On the Glorieta de Cibeles (a busy roundabout with a Turibus stop), in Colonia Roma.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.eljolgorio.com.mx/

• Written Feb 25, 2012

Jetgirly

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Have you been to Mexico City?