"Wicked Campers" Australia Transportation Tip by Arial_27

Australia Transportation: 241 reviews and 212 photos

me inside our Wicked camper

me inside our Wicked camper
    by Arial_27
      storage, cooler and kitchenette at the back
    by Arial_27

When travelling around Australia, you'll see a lot of Wicked Camper vans. Although based all over the world now, they were founded in Brisbane. They're very popular for backpackers who want to see the country by car. They're an affordable company to rent from, and wacky in the use of their language and rental policies.
For example, at the time I was renting you received a 10% discount on your rental if you were gay/lesbian or bi (don't ask me how you have to prove.) You also get a disount if you're a pot smoker. The discounts seem to change from season to season, for other things like being Sexy, being a former catholic school girl or a hippy, etc. Wicked has been critisized by the Queensland government for use of offensive language/slogans painted on the outside of their vehicles. Some animal rights activitst organizations have condemned them for placing stickers inside their vans with the text "Kangaroos - run the ***ers down." Wicked claim they were trying to prevent vehicle rollovers.
All that aside, they're a decent rental company - their vans normally come with utensils, a kitchenette, mattress (although no pillows or blankets) and plenty of storage. A few things that we were disappointed by was that our radio was broken, they have a policy that you pick up your ar empty and drop it off empty - doesnt make much sence to me, and they took forever giving my friend back his $2,000 deposit.
But would we recommend it? Yes. We had no problems with our car and it was a comfy place to sleep in for a week. I'm pretty sure we paid a little over $600 for a 6 day rental for 2 people. They can be fairly strict on how far you're allowed to drive for the length of time you're renting, so make sure you check in advance.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other
Website: http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

• Written Feb 10, 2012

Comments

Arial_27 Used To Live Here!

Arial_27

“On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.”

Have you been to Australia?