"Ceres Liner bus." Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Transportation Tip by planxty

Dumaguete City Transportation: 20 reviews and 31 photos

Mabinay, Negros, Philippines.
      Vista, Negros, Philippines.
    by planxty
      Bus station, Dumaguete, Negros, Philippines.
    by planxty

I was travelling from Bacolod to Dumaguete and so I needed to take the bus which departs from the South terminal there. There are some aircon services, ne of which leaves early in the morning. I had awarded myself a lie-in that day, so the early bird service was not an option. Actually, I do not like aircon, it plays havoc with my throat, and I find it can become quite chilly on some buses. Also, in a strange way I feel closer to the place with the window open, the breeze blowing in and my elbow getting suntanned out the window, it is more my style of travellng.

There are basically two routes you can take to get to Dumaguete. You could go down the West coast via Kabankalan and Bayawan which is said to be the more scenic route but the quicker option is Kabankalan and over the centre of the island via Mabinay. This takes about seven hours with a few rest stops including a half hour food break at Kabankalan where there is a decent restaurant in the bus station. The fare was 264 pesos. Why 264 I do not know, but that is what it was. Buses on this route are fairly frequent and seem to go about every half hour except between about 0330 and 0600.

Like buses all over Asia, you will never go hungry as vendors jump on at every available opportunity. I do not knbw if the aircon buses, being "deluxe" do the same but the bus I got basically stopped on demand to pick up or set down passengers.

One tip I would give is that you take a note of your bus running number on the front. The drivers will often move them around in the stations and it is easy to lose track of which one you are on.

A few other words of advice. If you are a smoker like me, be careful where you smoke. Most bus stations will either have a designated area or else you have to go outside the confines of the place even though it is open. In Mabinay, one of the stops, the entire town is non-smoking so do not even get off the bus and smoke in the steet.

All in all, whilst long and a bit warm at times, it was a pleasant enough journey. The images show the bus and it's interior, a street scene from Mabinay, one of the limited scenic views from the bus coming down into Bais City and journey's end at Dumaguete. As always, be aware of the trikeshaws hanging around the bus station, they will try and rip you off. If you want to save a few pesos, it is easily walkable into the centre of town, just turn right out of the front of the station and keep on that road. 15 or 20 minutes will take you right into the middle.

Mode: TO
Type: Bus

• Written Feb 10, 2012

More Transportation in Dumaguete City (1)

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Have you been to Dumaguete City?