"BUDDHA Boosters" Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum Tip by PandawitchElphie

Looking up.

Looking up.
      Revolving Prayer Wheel
  • - Singapore

I've been to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple around 5 times by now. 3x on our own, and the other times, we brought friends who were visiting/touring Singapore for the first time. For one thing, it's FREE! So if you're a budget traveller, this is a perfect stop point for you.

Step ONE: If you're wearing a sleeveless top or shorts, grab yourself a sarong which are available at both front and back entrance. Cover up your arms or wrap it around your waist. I learnt this the hard way when I was asked to go out and get one. (I always wear shorts in Singapore due to the heat).

Step TWO:
Ground floor, you can see a 'working' temple. Walk around and admire the opulent decors and buddha statues. Find "your" buddha. I'm year of the dragon... and there's a buddha for that. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll be there when there's a service happening. A LOT of chanting happens and I find it interesting to watch and take pics of people reading from their prayer books backwards...with chinese characters. You can also take pics (discretely) of people kneeling down and praying... burning incense... making offerings.

Don't stop here. Some people think this is it. It's not.

STEP THREE:
Look for the elevator (or stairs) and go to the TOP FLOOR. That's be the 4th or 5th floor. Don't stop there. Take the stairwell and go UP to the ROOFTOP. There's a nice little orchid garden there with ten thousand little buddha statues. Don't bother counting...there's too many. In the middle is a giant prayer wheel. Take hold of it and walk around. WHen you hear the bell ring... it means your prayer has been answered or that you've just gone 360 degrees. (There's information written on a sign there). It's a nice place to rest a bit.

STEP FOUR: Go back down the stairs 1 flight. 4th floor (if I remember right). Shoes off. No photography allowed. THIS is where you'll see the BUDDHA Tooth Relic. An entire room of "gold". It's a sight to see. This is their holiest place in the temple. Be very quiet here. There's always a monk on duty. ANd I've seen people come in, make an offering and he blesses them. There are also areas where people can come in, sit down and meditate.

STEP FIVE: After putting on your shoes again, go down another floor. Here you'll see a mini museum of Buddha Statues... and at the back Buddha 'parts'. There's no other way to describe it. His body parts... a.k.a. relics a.k.a. little crystals are in state of honor at the back. There's also a buddha statue you can bathe. Ladle water on it 3x to rid yourself of bad stuff. And my particular favorite is a statue of a 'floating' buddha in the center of a circle/ring.

STEP SIX: Go back to the ground floor, return your sarong and off you go. :)

Address: Chinatown
Directions: Chinatown, Singapore

• Written Feb 8, 2012

Comments

PandawitchElphie Visits Here Frequently!

PandawitchElphie

“So long as I have a smile and my camera, I'm never lost.”

Have you been to Singapore?