"A thousand flowers" Top 5 Page for this destination Musée du Moyen Age (Middle Ages) - Musée de Cluny Tip by Nemorino

1. A thousand flowers

1. A thousand flowers
      2. Medieval tapestry
      3. Funeral
    by Nemorino

The National Museum of the Middle Ages is justly famous for its many medieval tapestries on the walls. These were made of wool and silk, woven by hand and contain amazing amounts of detail.

This style of tapestries is called mille-fleurs meaning a thousand flowers. I haven’t counted the flowers in this tapestry (first photo), but I think there might really be a thousand of them, along with five elegantly dressed people and numerous birds.

To learn more about medieval tapestries, please have a look at the many reviews on this subject by VirtualTourist member breughel, who has described tapestries on display in Paris, Krakow, Toulouse, Beaune and Brussels, among other places.

Second photo: Here we have a gentleman on horseback, two ladies on another horse, numerous finely dressed servants on foot, some children and dogs, some castles in the background – the longer you look, the more you find.

Third photo: This tapestry is the last in a series about upper class life in the Middle Ages, showing the funeral of the local ruler, surrounded by mourners and with angels overhead.

Next review from January 2012: The Lady and the Unicorn

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jun 5, 2013

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    May 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM

This museum is among my favorite ones in Paris.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

This I would love to see, I guess I must go back to Paris after my visit in June just to visit all these museums.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Actually I would have never chosen to visit a museum of middle ages, my preconcept about that period is about a dark era for art, and I am obviously wrong.

Nemorino Used To Live Here!

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Paris?