Alder Lodge: "Excellent b&b." Top 5 Page for this destination Shetland Hotel Tip by leics

Shetland Hotels: 11 reviews and 20 photos

Alder Lodge

Alder Lodge
      My room
      Breakfast room
    by leics
      Down the hill to the town and harbour
      And back up again!
    by leics

I have absolutely *no* idea why I did not write this review before: the accomm review is usually the first one I write. I think I was just overwhelmed with the beauty of Shetland on four sunny, clear summer days and wanted to share my photos as quickly as possible!

But here it is...

Alder Lodge is on the main road into Lerwick town centre (not a terribly busy main road though!), perhaps 5 minutes downhill walk to the harbour and less than 10 to the magnificent cliffs which over look Bressay Sound (if you get up early enough you can wave to the overnight ferry from Scotland as it arrives around 7am each morning!).

The b&b was taken over early in 2011 by the local owners of another guesthouse. By the time I arrived in August it had been updated and painted and refurbished and was absolutely super.

Keith and Karen are super hosts, friendly, helpful and informative without being over-intrusive.

My twin-for-single-use room was clean, comfortable and warm with ensuite and free effective wifi.

Breakfast was freshly-cooked, with a good choice (including kippers or smoked haddock).

There is a good range of DVDs and books to borrow if the weather means an early night!

There is limited parking outside the house but ample parking on the road just round the corner. There's no need to worry about parking on the road in Shetland.

A super place, highly recommended, and a place to which I will definitely return when I go back to Shetland.

Address: 6 Clairmont Place
Comparison: about average
Directions: Take the A970 from Sumburgh airport and just keep going. At the roundabout after Tesco take the A969 Scalloway Road into the town centre. Alder Lodge is on the right as you crest the hill after the mini-roundabout.
othercontact: alder.lodge@live.co.uk
Phone: +44 (0)1595 695705
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Website: http://visit.shetland.org/alderlodge-guest-house

• Written Jan 10, 2012

Comments

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Shetland?