"Gibbs Hill Lighthouse" Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Off The Beaten Path Tip by grandmaR

Bermuda Off The Beaten Path: 58 reviews and 114 photos

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse
      Pride across the sound
      Bob
    by grandmaR
      Looking Up from the the bottom
      Lighthouse shining it
    by grandmaR

Because I you really can't get to this lighthouse from the bus without walking about 10 minutes from the bus stop, I had put off visiting until we came in 2011 and had a private tour. We went there first because our guide Duke said that if we waited, the parking lot would be too full to even get the taxi into. Here we got out and walked around and Bob and I both took photos. It was quite windy. Since the lighthouse is located on the highest point of the island in Southampton Parish, southwest of Hamilton, we could see the Pride across the sound.

I had no intention of climbing it at this time. I might have done were I younger. The lighthouse was damaged in Hurricane Fabian, so climbing may no longer be an option. I might have liked to stay and had tea at the lighthouse, but the restaurant seemed to be closed. . Later we saw the lighthouse again from the road on the way back to the ship.

This is the second oldest cast iron lighthouse in the world built in 1846. (Jamaica's Morant Point Light was built in 1841) The 1-story keeper's house is occupied by a resident caretaker. Operator: Bermuda Department of Marine and Ports Service

The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and the
Gibbs Hill Lighthouse Gift Shop is open

7 days a week
9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
Closed for the month of February

Bus # 8 will take you via Middle Road. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station. From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.

Phone: (441) 238 - 8069
Website: http://bermudalighthouse.com/operations.htm

• Updated Jan 9, 2012

Comments

grandmaR Visits Here Frequently!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Bermuda?