"Fabulous Larnaca Fort" Larnaca Fort Tip by Aunt_Bertha

Larnaca Fort, Larnaca: 8 reviews and 18 photos

Larnaca Fort
by Aunt_Bertha

Fabulous Larnaca Fort was founded in 1625 to defend the city of Larnaca, which makes sense because it's a fort. It is located at one end of the palm-tree lined seafront promenade called Phinikoudes.

My interest in old castles includes old forts as well, and I had a great and relaxing time exploring Larnaca Fort, since I was the only visitor on that March afternoon. I leisurely walked around the walls of the fort from where I had magnificent views of the seaside and the city of Larnaca.

Previously the fort had been used as a prison, but now it serves as the Larnaca Municipal Cultural Center and also houses a small archeological museum. The ghosts of the former prisoners supposedly roam around the fort on new moon nights.

I don't remember the exact opening hours, but it seems to be open in the afternoon on most of the days. It's usually closed at night and definitely on new moon nights. If you're staying in the vicinity of the fort, you might want to walk by and check out the opening hours.

Address: Larnaca
Directions: At one end of the palm-tree lined seafront promenade "Phinikoudes".

• Written Jan 5, 2012

Comments

Aunt_Bertha

“I played the lotto and won a motto.”

Have you been to Larnaca?