The Mitre: "Traditional pub in Cambridge" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Restaurant Tip by Airpunk

Cambridge Restaurants: 141 reviews and 146 photos

The Mitre (pre-refurbishment)
by Airpunk

The Mitre was my boss’ local which meant that I was usually there once a week. Through this, I got befriended by some of the staff which resulted in the one or other extra goodie like some peanuts or a free pint. It is one of the pubs with the longest tradition in Cambridge, being mentioned for the first time in 1754. The pub was famous for its pies, its large selection of guest ales and many special offers like all wine bottles for 10 GBP on Fridays or “Meet the Brewer”.

The audience usually consisted of students and some regular costumers like us. On weekends, it got pretty full and it was quite impossible to get a table.

You may ask yourself, why I wrote this review in past tense. Well, the Mitre changed owners and got refurbished in mid-2011. As my boss changed his local pub as well, I don’t know how much of the old flair the Mitre retained.

Address: 17 Bridge Street Cambridge CB2 1UF
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: At Bridge Street, between Magdalene and St. John's Colleges.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Pub/Brewery
Website: http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/themitrecambridge/

• Updated Dec 11, 2011

Comments

Airpunk

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Have you been to Cambridge?