"JAUFENPASS" Top 5 Page for this destination Merano Things to Do Tip by balhannah

Merano Things to Do: 32 reviews and 89 photos

by balhannah

If you want to continue on like we did from St. Leonardo in Passiria, then you will see more wonderful scenery along the Jaufenpass. It connects the Eisacktal valley in the east with the Passeiertal valley in the west.
I think it was lucky for us we were travelling on a week day, as this is a known Motor-bike route, and we did meet a few, but not a lot!

The pass stretches from St. Leonardo to Sterzing and has some beauties of switchback's. It is narrow and has plenty of curves, so if not a confident driver, perhaps forget about it!

We headed up the wide curvy road on this side of the Summit, reaching a log cabin on the summit at 2099 metres above sea level. A little bit further on, we find a guesthouse with a big parking lot.
From here on, the road is narrow with lots of curves and switchback's. We pass through forest, and then it opens up to wonderful views looking down to the Eisacktal valley.

A scenic Mountain Pass for sure!
The distance from one end to the other is only 24kms, but remember, it is not fast travel!

THE PASS IS ONLY OPEN FROM MAY - NOVEMBER

Website: http://www.passeiertal.it/en/

• Updated Dec 6, 2011

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Fantastic road - what stunning scenery! Personally I prefer this wildness to the greens of the lower valleys

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Mar 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I like both. This drive was stunning! When I planned the trip, I didn't know what we would see on our way to the Dolomites, as it turned out, the whole route was full of beauty. A very pleasant surprise!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Have you been to Merano?